POVAL (chemical name: polyvinyl alcohol) is a white, crystalline or powdery, water-soluble synthetic resin. It was first used in manufacturing half a century ago, and remains in widespread use both in Japan and abroad as a functional material with many features. Especially in recent years, its use as an environmentally compatible material is attracting public attention.
- Solubility: Water-soluble.
- Oil resistance: Virtually insoluble in organic solvents other than water.
- Adhesiveness: Transparent in aqueous solution, firmly adheres to cellulose-based substances like paper, wood, etc.
- Emulsification performance: Surface active capacity reduces the surface tension of water.
- Film expanding performance: Substantial film-forming capacity, in which state it offers excellent mechanical performance e.g. tensile strength, tear resistance, etc.
- Fiber-binding agent: Warp binding agent for spun board, warp binding agent for filaments, finishing paste
- Paper processing: Surface sizing, pigment coating, internally added binder
- Emulsifying and diffusive agent: Vinyl acetate emulsion stabilizing agent, PVC suspension polymerizing agent
- Adhesive: Cushion paper, bag making, cardboard tubing, paperboard, paper band, moist paste, urea resin for plywood
- Binding agent: Ferrite, ceramics, agricultural chemical, nursery soil, soil improvement
- Film/molding: Films, sponges
Styrene & Acetyl Chemicals Product List
Elastomers & Performance Plastics
Styrene & Acetyl Chemicals Dept.
- It is the customer’s responsibility to always test products before use and confirm their fitness for purpose and safety.
- Any product contained on this Website or any product using a product contained on this Website should be disposed of in accordance with laws and regulations.
- Before use, please confirm the detailed method of use, precautions, and other information by using the technical documentation and Material Safety Data Sheet. These materials are available from the relevant Division. Please request them.
- The information contained in this website is subject to change without notice as new knowledge becomes available.